Bronze Dog Soldier "No Retreat" Statue
Of the societies in the prairie tribes, the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers are one of the most interesting, inspiring, and controversial. The Dog Soldiers were a group well known for their ferocity, honor, and traditional values. Originally serving as a military society, the Dog Warriors were tasked with enforcing the laws of the tribe as well as warring duties. Best known for their "uniform," a bonnet made from the feathers of birds of prey, a belt made from four skunk skins, and a "dog rope"-- sashes made of tanned skin that hung to the ground.
Tradition says that to each dog rope was attached a picket-pin. While in combat, the soldier was then effectively staked to the ground and could not move. This is to allow for their brothers’ safe retreat in battle. The Dog Soldiers had to remain in place until everyone reached safety or someone relieved them. Even if it meant death.
- Artist: Kenneth R Martin Jr.
- Made of bronze
- Solid wood base
- Plaque reads "Dog Soldier - No Retreat"
- Pictures a Cheyenne Dog Soldier
- The Soldier holds various weapons
- His dog rope swings down-- tethered to the ground
- Dog Soldier displays a steadfast expression
- This is a powerful piece with a lot of history and story behind it
- Dimensions: 7" W x 20.5" H
- Condition: Excellent